Sweet Tea & conversation... a lovely way to spend a day

July 29, 2020

Revenge of the Flipper

Our neighborhood has been flooded with flippers . No , this does not refer to scuba equipment , but that would be rather funny ! I am speaking of those who purchase a property with the express purpose of "improving" it , selling it and turning a profit . These folks come in all sizes , shapes and levels of competency . One , in particular , made quite an impression on me . He was constructing an add-on to an existing structure and was not pleased to be interrupted from his task ! He was impatient , rude and rather mean ! How could this behavior make an impression on me , you ask ? Well , upon returning home , my habit is to check the mailbox for today's arrivals . The structure receiving the add-on was the underside of my mailbox and the flipper was an indignant wasp !!! How dare I open that little door and jostle the box beneath which he was working ? He flew out in a rage to defend his project and managed to sting me twice before I fled , screaming in pain ! The severe burning was immediate , followed by the swelling . Never was that front door opened , then closed behind me with such speed ! Diligent internet research revealed the difference between bee- and wasp-venom and the resulting treatments . The former is acidic and required an alkaline (baking soda ) coating , The latter is alkaline and requires an acidic (lemon juice or apple cider vinegar ) coating . In each case , ice packs are a relief . When a week had passed , with no diminishing of redness nor itching , further advice was sought . It would seem , gentle reader , that I am allergic to wasp venom...not Epi pen level , just still-miserable and itchy level . The antihistamine is helping and the swelling is going down...sigh... The winger flipper certainly got his revenge...but then...so did I . An exterminator friend eliminated that project . It was far cheaper than a lawsuit by the Postal Authority and elderly dog walkers who might have raised the ire of the little flipper ! Ah , the adventures of those in paradise !!!

2 comments:

  1. NO NO NO , no flippers and their stupid upgrades all of which look alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was swiftly dispatched , but his revenge remains . Ten days after the attack , the separate sting sites and hives have morphed into one large swollen , itchy , hot presentation ! The antihistamine diminishes that effect daily , but I am most careful in getting my mail !!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!