Sweet Tea & conversation... a lovely way to spend a day

July 28, 2020

Catching Up a Bit

Dear Patient Readers , Where did that time go ??? Much has happened since my last post ! First of all , after two and a half years , my dear , affectionate Gabby passed away in the autumn of 2018 . Her struggle with FIV ended with cancer...she would not let me know until the very last...not wanting intervention . She was aided to peace , at the end , and passed away in my arms at a kind vet's office . She is a very hard act to follow . And yet , it would seem there was another elderly feline lady who wished to join me . After Gabby's passing , my phone number was given to the shelter's vet , in the hopes that another FIV patient would like a forever home of her own . Mid January 2019 , that call came ! The vet was on her way into the OR to spay the next houseguest . It was confirmed that she was welcome in my home and that I was to pick her up the next day !!! The kitty girl in question is a tuxedo cat of regal bearing...black , silky longhair , with a white chin , mittens and boots ! Her name was a puzzle , however . It was one normally given to a precious , owned house cat , not a recently feral one . When the staff was asked if she had been surrendered , the staff member , knowing she had FIV , feline leukemia and a short lifespan , became a bit teary . "She is such a beautiful cat , we wanted her to have a beautiful name " . She is Genevieve ! Genevieve is vastly different from Gabby . She inhabited Gabby's "apartment" and very gradually ventured out as her trust and curiosity built . All is done on her schedule and comfort level . It has taken all this time for her to be comfortable having the run of the house and now curls up within sight of me , when I'm involved in the kitchen and office . She has not yet consented to being petted , but that , too , will come when she is ready . In the meantime , her chief activity seems to involve intense , thorough grooming...evidenced by the downy tufts of black hair everywhere...an interesting contrast to my pale champagne colored carpeting !!! Speaking of being ready , I am being stared at from the hallway ! It is , I believe the feline version of The Vulcan Mind Meld...telling me it is time for another meal !!! A catalog's tee shirt proclaimed " Dogs have masters . Cats have staff ." Genevieve's staff is being summoned !

1 comment:

I love comments!