Sweet Tea & conversation... a lovely way to spend a day

August 08, 2020

Background Noise

A recent conversation has prompted this post . The subject at hand was whether or not one preferred to be accompanied during the day with noise (from TV , radio , computer , etc.) or silence . This was spurred by the power outage from the most recent storm . These friends have something playing all day and fall asleep to the TV . The power outage left them not only in total darkness , but total silence...a most uncomfortable situation for them ! When asked , it was revealed that , not only do I no longer have a TV nor play the radio in the car , but that I prefer the absence of such . The old phrase "I couldn't hear myself think " came to mind . Have you ever gone to a store , with a specific purpose in mind and at least a mental list to accomplish ? Was their music so loud and distracting that you left without fully completing your tasks ? I suppose we can be conditioned to silence...straining to hear our babies cry...listening to our older children to avert shenanigans...alert to the needs of an elderly relative in our care . There are benefits to the quiet . I can hear the flirty birdsong , the wind chimes and the Eastern Grey Tree frog's nightly songs . I can hear the rain on the windows and thunderstorms . Even in winter , there is the very special quiet of snow softly falling . It's lovely to have choices ! What do you prefer ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!